- 3 cups Deya’s Gluten-Free Cake Flour
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Dice the butter and put it back in the refrigerator while preparing the flour mixture.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add Deya’s Gluten-Free Cake Flour, salt, and sugar. Using the steel blade attachment, pulse a few times to mix.
- Add the chilled butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, or until the butter is the size of peas.
- With the machine running, pour the ice water into the feed tube and pulse until the dough forms a ball.
- Dump the dough onto a board lightly sprinkled with Deya’s Gluten-Free Cake Flour. Form the dough into 2 balls. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Sandwiched between two pieces of wax paper, roll one of the balls of dough into a circle. Roll from the center of the dough to the edge, rotating often.
- Once the dough is rolled out, take the top layer of wax paper off, and flip the dough into the pie pan. Remove the other piece of wax paper and clean up the edges.
- If just making the bottom take remaining crust, form snake with the excess dough from cleaning up the edges. Add to rim of pie pan and design with fork or finger.
- For a top crust, roll out the second half of dough to same size and shape over top of filling. Seal edges, trim and flute as desired.
- Once you’ve added your desired filling, beat the egg with the milk and brush onto the visible parts of the crust with a pastry brush. This will make the dough golden and crispy.